Rekovelle® is delivered in micrograms with a specifically designed reusable pen. The pen delivers a precise dose of Rekovelle® with intervals of 0.33 micrograms. 3 cartridge sizes are available:
• 12 micrograms/0.36 mL
• 36 micrograms/1.08 mL
• 72 micrograms/2.16 mL
Step-by-step instructions for patients about how to use the Rekovelle® Pen are set out below.Download and print instructions
Patients can also review this on-line guide at their leisure in the Rekovelle® patient support section of this website.
Rekovelle® Pen user guide:
Here are all the components that make up your Rekovelle® pen
A. Pen cap
C. Grey collar
D. Lock/Unlock symbols
E. Dose delivery slider
F. Pen body
G. Dose window
H. Dose selector
I. Dose correction button
J. Cartridge holder
K. Outer protective needle cap*
L. Inner needle cap*
M. Pen needle*
O. Cartridge plunger*
*not provided with the Rekovelle® pen but supplied by your healthcare professional
Injecting Rekovelle® using your pen
Preparing your pen for use
1. Clean and dry your hands before using your pen. Pull the pen cap and disconnect the cartridge holder by twisting it and pulling away from the pen body.
2. Check that the dose window reads ‘0’. If it does not, reset it to ‘0’ using the dose correction button (see Step 12 for guidance).
3. Extend the leadscrew by gently turning the grey collar until you feel it comes to a stop.
4. Put the cartridge into the clear cartridge holder, metal cap first.
5. Place the end of the leadscrew against the cartridge plunger. Align the dot on the cartridge holder with the unlock symbol, push together firmly and twist to align the dot with the locked symbol.
6. Check there is no gap between the leadscrew and the cartridge plunger before continuing.
Priming the Rekovelle® pen after loading a new cartridge
7. Screw the pen needle onto the cartridge holder. Remove the protective caps from the needle. Don’t throw away the outer cap – you’ll need it later.
8. Remember, you must prime the Rekovelle® pen once after loading a new cartridge to remove any bubbles that may be in the cartridge. Dial to the drip symbol on the dose selector.
9. Hold the Rekovelle® pen with the needle pointing up and tap the cartridge holder to move trapped air.
10. Push and hold the dose delivery slider, on the side of the Rekovelle® pen, towards the needle until the numbers return to ‘0’ in the dose window and a drip appears at the needle tip. If no drip appears, repeat steps 8 to 10 until a drip appears.
11. To select your dose, make sure the dose window shows ‘0’, then dial up the dose prescribed by your healthcare professional.
If you have any doubts about dialling the correct dose, speak to your healthcare professional.
12. If you accidentally over dial the dose it is easily corrected by pressing the dose correction button on the top of the dose selector. Each press will reduce the dose by 2 clicks. If you press too many times simply dial up to the required dose again.
13. To inject your dose, clean the injection site with an alcohol swab. Pinch a small amount of skin and insert the pen needle using the injection technique recommended by your healthcare professional. Push the dose delivery slider towards the pen needle and hold it in place.
The dose selector will rotate during injection. When the dose selector has stopped rotating and ‘0’ appears in the dose window release the dose delivery slider and wait for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds you can remove the pen needle. The dosing window should read ‘0’.
14. Remove the pen needle by carefully reattaching the outer protective needle cap and unscrewing the pen needle while holding the pen at the cartridge housing. Replace the pen cap onto the Rekovelle® pen. Dispose of the used pen needle carefully, as advised by your healthcare professional.
If the dose window does not show ‘0’
If at the end of the injection the dose window does not show ‘0’, this indicates that the cartridge is empty and you have not received a full dose.
In this situation write down the number shown in the window. This is the remaining dose. Now follow to steps 15-17.
Changing the cartridge
15. If the dose has not been delivered in full you must change the cartridge to complete the dose.
With the pen needle removed, disconnect the cartridge holder from the pen body by rotating towards the unlock symbol and pulling away.
16. Remove the empty cartridge and dispose it carefully in accordance with the advice of your healthcare professional.
17. Repeat steps 2-11, ensuring you select the remaining dose to complete your injection.
RG/519/2016/UKam Date of preparation: May 2017